Daryll Sylvester Matthew
Daryll Sylvester Matthew is an Antiguan politician and is currently a Minister of Government in Antigua and Barbuda with the portfolio of Sports, Culture, National Festivals and the Arts.
Early life and education
Daryll Slyvester Matthew holds Masters in Business Administration (MBA) specializing in International Business, with research in Foreign Direct Investment from Aston University in the UK, and a Masters Degree in Geo-Information Management from Twente University, Enschede in The Netherlands.
Matthew was appointed to the Senate of Antigua and Barbuda on 9 January 2018, and in March of 2018 was elected at the Parliamentary Representative of the St. John’s Rural South on an Antigua and Barbuda Labour Party (ABLP) ticket. He was appointed Minister of Sports, Culture, National Festivals, and the Arts on 22 March 2018.
Prior to a entry into National Politics in Antigua and Barbuda; administration, Project Management, Business Development and Community Service were vital parts of the life of Daryll Matthew, not only professionally, but also personally.
Being a very technical minded person, but with a passion for business, his vocation is reflected in his fields of study (Land Surveying at the University of Technology, Jamaica; Geographic Information Management, and Business Administration, specializing in International Business and Foreign Direct Investment).
Professionally, Mr. Matthew has climbed the ranks of the Public Service in Antigua and Barbuda rapidly. In 1998 he was employed by the Surveys Division in Antigua and Barbuda, by 2002 he had risen to the post of Senior Environment Officer, and in 2004 was appointed as Chief Lands Officer. During his tenure in the Public Service he has represented his native Antigua and Barbuda in many forums globally. These include: Japan, The Philippines, Colombia, Mexico, Australia, Kenya, USA, Hong Kong, China, India, and The People’s Republic of China.
Honours and awards
In 2012, Mr. Matthew received a National Youth Award for Entrepreneurship from the Government of Antigua and Barbuda.
Minister Matthew, over his years has been active in his country and community in several areas including community service and sporting development.
He has held the positions of:
- President of the Golden Eagles Sports Club
- President of the Antigua and Barbuda Students Association, Jamaica
- Member of the Rotaract Club of Kingston, Jamaica
- Member of the Rotaract Club of Antigua
- President of the Rotaract Cub of Antigua
- Member of the Rotary Club of Antigua
- Member of the Board of the Rotary Club of Antigua
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Antigua Commercial Bank
- President of the Antigua and Barbuda Basketball Association
- Executive Member of the National Olympic Committee
- Treasurer – Caribbean Basketball Confederation
- Vice President of Finance of Marketing – Caribbean Basketball Confederation
- Member of the Finance Committee of FIBA Americas
- Founder and former Director of Myst Carnival